Tuesday, May 8, 2012

"Good Morning"

When I was pregnant, I had a routine with Bandit and Kimber. When it was time to get up and go downstairs (and therefore outside to potty), I'd always say, "Good morning, how are you?" in a sing songy voice. I had heard that a baby would recognize their mother's voice, and specifically things they said over and over. This phrase was the only thing I could think of that I said over and over while pregnant.


When Olivia was born, I wanted to say this to her, but thought I'd be too shy and embarrassed to do so in front of doctors and nurses. Not so much. It was the very first thing I said to her, and she responded! Not with words, of course, but physically. She looked right at me! My newborn baby looked right at me and responded with familiarity to the words I'd just said. It was amazing.

So for the last 16+ months, I've gone into her room every morning and sung, "Good morning! How are you?"

I've been trying to teach her words, and it's always the words I don't expect that she comes up with. Yesterday morning when I went in to get her, she said, "Goomor!" I jumped up and down and oohed and aahed and gave her a great big hug and a kiss. It was to-die-for cute! So cute, that I might have caved and given her a little cookie before breakfast. ;-)

Is the above pictures sideways to you? Because I have rotated it 372 times, and even uploaded new copies of the f-ing picture, but Blogger keeps importing it sideways. I know punching my monitor won't fix the problem, but DAMN it would feel good right now.





No comments:

About Me

My photo
South Austin, Texas, United States
Consider yourself warned ... I'm "that" Mom.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner