Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Cooking

I've been trying new recipes from Pinterest for a few weeks now.

Last night we made This Little Girl's Guide to Sugar and Spice's Broccoli Cheddar Soup.

(Her photo, not mine)


It turned out pretty darn good! I would/did make a few changes:

1. We used 2% Milk to cut down on the fat and calories. Since the soup has flour, 2% milk didn't affect the creaminess of the soup at all.

2. Make sure to use regular cheddar cheese. Don't accidentally buy mild cheddar like I did, because you'll have to use twice as much cheese. Oops!

3. Also, I'm probably going to cook the flour before adding it to the rest of the soup next time. It took a long time to cook the flour taste out of this soup. My plan is to use half the chicken stock with the veggies, and half with the flour and milk. Once the flour and milk is cooked, then I'll combine.


This soup was a hit! We'll definitely be making it again. I'm wondering how 2% cheese would work. Maybe half regular cheese, half low fat? I'm worried it won't melt well, though. Has anyone cooked with low fat cheese?


2 comments:

Christy said...

This looks good. Did O like it? I need some new toddler-friendly recipes. Taylor likes soup, so I may give this a try.

Sara Louise said...

Yes, she loved it! Part of the reason we decided to make it because we'd been having Costco's version, but it's so high in fat and sodium. I wasn't compfortable with giving it to O (or myself for that matter) regularly. Sicne I'd finally found something she freely eats, I didn't want to give it up, haha!

About Me

My photo
South Austin, Texas, United States
Consider yourself warned ... I'm "that" Mom.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner