Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Day 7

So far, Day 1 and Day 6 are the only days I haven't cheated the fast. Overall, I think I'm doing well, though. Day 7 is looking good!

The real victims here are my parents. They are being dragged through this with me. My mother is willing, my father is ... hesitant. When I told him last night I was making Jambalaya with brown rice instead of white, and turkey instead of sausage ... Well, both my parents were giving me the side eye. Honestly, I was a little nervous, too.

We almost exactly used the Playing House Jambalaya recipe.

  • 1.25 lbs ground turkey
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 1 orange bell pepper
  • 1 white onion
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • red pepper to taste
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • Cajun hot sauce
  • 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup brown rice
Add the chicken broth and brown rice to a pan and cook as directed for rice. In a deeper pan, cook the bell pepper and garlic with the olive oil for about 5 minutes. Add the ground turkey, onion, salt, pepper, and red pepper and cook until browned and vegetable are soft. Stir in the tomato paste and diced tomatoes. Eat over rice with Louisiana hot sauce.

YUM.

We were all eyeing this thing thinking it didn't look good at all, but it was delicious! Even Olivia ate a whole bowl, and she's a picky girl. This one will go in the repeat category. Maybe next time I'll actually have more spices to put in it, although with the veggies and pepper and hot sauce, I don't think it needed any more. The turkey jambalaya was very reminisce of beans and rice ... but with turkey and lots of vegetables!

One funny thing I learned about my father last night: His Louisiana hot sauce is from Schotzsky's.



Yep, I said Schlotzsky's. He is very particular about his Cajun food, and this completely took me by surprise. He was right, though. It was good!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
South Austin, Texas, United States
Consider yourself warned ... I'm "that" Mom.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner