Thursday, August 2, 2012

Day 1

I'm reading 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker with some girlfriends. In short, a woman decided to cut the excess from her life one catagory and one month at a time on her spiritual journey. We decided to take the fasts along with the book, and I felt like this was the perfect time in my life since I'd basically already started.

The very first chapter really opened my eyes to what the transformations in my life recently have been - to prove to myself that I "am enough" for me, as she says in the book. The author's point was to realize that Jesus was enough for her. Time will tell how spiritual (or not) this experiment will be for me personally. I haven't decided whether it's personal growth or spiritual growth that I hope and expect to gain the most over the next few months, but I do know I'm just going to take it one day and one chapter at a time.

The first chapter is about cutting out all but seven foods, and for me this was an excellent place to start. I'm so dependent on food, and not for nutrition. I've been working to steer my entertainment and hobbies away from eating and into a more fulfulling and active lifestyle. So we began. Yesterday, month 1 day 1 started a month of eating from just the following seven food catagories:

  1. Yogurt with granola and honey
  2. Fruits
  3. Vegetables
  4. Whole wheat bread/corn tortillas/brown rice
  5. Beans
  6. Chicken
  7. Turkey
I think that's a realistic list that will help detox me from sweets and snacks. Also allowed is BBQ sauce, salsa, and mustard to top off these foods. By eating practically the same thing every day, I'm hoping I'll relearn to eat because I'm hungry and not because I'm board. My waiste and my pocket book are already appreciating the difference!

Day 1 included:




Yogurt for breakfast and yogurt for lunch. I had a banana for a snack, and pulled chicken (made with salsa, water, and minimal olive oil) tacos on corn tortillas. No cheese. That one may kill me!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
South Austin, Texas, United States
Consider yourself warned ... I'm "that" Mom.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner