Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Sloppy, Sloppy Joe


I have bestowed my sweet tooth on Olivia. As vegetables go, she'll eat green beans and that's usually it. I always offer her vegetables, but I'm trying to find ways to get them in her even when she refuses to eat them. I heard a rumor that Sloppy Joes masked vegetable well, so we tried it.

My first thought was that I did not want to be eating Sloppy Joes regularly. However, after making this meal, the whole family is obsessed with them! We've had sloppy joes three times this week.

Our recipe was basically adapted from Pioneer Woman's Sloppy Joes recipe, but I changed it up to be healthier and more to our taste.
  • 1 1/4 pound of ground turkey (Jennie-O's is my favorite)
  • 1/2 onion diced
  • 1 green bell pepper
  • 2 1/2 cloves of garlic (I'm lazy and use the minced refrigerated garlic)
  • 3/4 cup ketchup
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard (I've used regular mustard in a pinch)
  • 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce (I've been using Cattleman's Memphis Sweet)
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • Whole wheat hamburger buns
  • 1 pat butter
Brown the turkey with the onion (drain fat if there is any, but I use the leanest turkey I can find), then mix in bell pepper, garlic, ketchup, water, brown sugar, chili powder, mustard, BBQ sauce, and salt & pepper. Simmer about 15 minutes to cook down the water. 1 pat of butter (less than a tablespoon) melted and brushed onto the buns was plenty to toast 4 buns on the stove top. Yes, my picture is of my Dad's white bun. The rest of us ate whole wheat.

We've been having it with a side of sliced up Texas peaches. You can never have enough Texas peaches when they're in season!

2 comments:

Christy said...

Bookmarking this. Sounds good!

joyce said...

Ditto Christy, sounds yummy!

About Me

My photo
South Austin, Texas, United States
Consider yourself warned ... I'm "that" Mom.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner