I have bestowed my sweet tooth on Olivia. As vegetables go, she'll eat green beans and that's usually it. I always offer her vegetables, but I'm trying to find ways to get them in her even when she refuses to eat them. I heard a rumor that Sloppy Joes masked vegetable well, so we tried it.
My first thought was that I did not want to be eating Sloppy Joes regularly. However, after making this meal, the whole family is obsessed with them! We've had sloppy joes three times this week.
Our recipe was basically adapted from Pioneer Woman's Sloppy Joes recipe, but I changed it up to be healthier and more to our taste.
- 1 1/4 pound of ground turkey (Jennie-O's is my favorite)
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 1/2 cloves of garlic (I'm lazy and use the minced refrigerated garlic)
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard (I've used regular mustard in a pinch)
- 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce (I've been using Cattleman's Memphis Sweet)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Whole wheat hamburger buns
- 1 pat butter
We've been having it with a side of sliced up Texas peaches. You can never have enough Texas peaches when they're in season!