Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Shorter Birth Story

... and more pictures!

My water broke at 4:50am on Wednesday the 29th. There was no mistaking what had just happened! I wasn’t really having contractions – just some very minor, very sporadic cramps. So we spent the morning wrapping up last minute things and napping. When the doctor’s office opened they told me to come in to verify my water had broken. From there, they sent me across the street to the hospital. We checked in at 10:30 and by 11:30 were starting Pitocin since I still wasn’t having contractions. By 2pm contractions were every 2 minutes and painful! At this point, I was only 2-3 cm dilated. I was trying to put off the epidural because I was afraid it would slow down the cervix dilation (if that was even possible). However, by 2:30 the doctor told me they were going to up my Pitocin again and everyone (easily) talked me into getting it then. The epidural went in at 3:15. Prior to it, I was in pain during contractions, but could recover between. After the epidural, I was miserable. I could still feel every bit of the contractions, but now I had a painful catheter and was confined to my bed (which was horrible since the contractions were a pain in the butt, literally, and the only thing that helped was standing). Finally the nurses agreed the epidural wasn’t working and called the anesthesiologist back to do another one. This epidural went in at 4:15 and by 4:20 I was in heaven! I was still just 4cm dilated, so the doctor told us to just relax. Basically, from about 5pm to midnight, we just slept. I was aware of the nurses being concerned about how slowing I was dilating, but Dr. Cherry was very comforting and consistently reassured me that slowly but surely I was making progress. Finally at midnight I was complete! I’d been awake about half an hour because I could feel the contractions again, and now I had intense pain in my back. The baby was at 0 station, so anticipating an hour to labor down and a couple hours of pushing, they gave me another shot into the epidural. At 1am the doctor came back and we started getting ready to push. The first push was at 1:30am and she was born just 12 minutes (and 21 pushes) later!

If everyone’s pregnancy and labor and delivery went this smoothly, we’d have 10 kids each. I couldn’t have asked for a better experience! Everything went perfectly. My husband was amazing, she gave me an easy labor, and the baby is absolutely perfect!

Olivia Louise Lamb was born at 1:42am on December 30, 2010 (1 day before her due date). She was 7 pounds 11 ounces, and was 20.5 inches long.

1 comment:

Juicy said...

she's a cutie, Sara! Congrats to your family for the new addition. Good luck! ;)

About Me

My photo
South Austin, Texas, United States
Consider yourself warned ... I'm "that" Mom.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner